What is nephrotic syndrome or nephrosis?
Nephrotic syndrome is a result of a number of renal diseases and a variety of systemic disorders. Disorders like systemic lupus erythematosus, or exposure to toxins or certain drugs.
However, in young children, ages 2 – 6 nephrotic syndrome is known as Lipoid Nephrosis, also known as Minimal Change Disease (MCD), and also known as Nil Disease is a primary disease not secondary to other diseases. Lipoid Nephrosis arrises from a lesion on the glomerulus, leading to proteinuria and oedema. (Emedicine.medscape.com, 2019)
cause of nephrotic syndrome or nephrosis
In order to get to the root cause of why this condition may come about here are some of the causes that could trigger this syndrome.
- Glomerulonephritis and diabetic glomerulosclerosis
- Secondary to systemic lupus erythematosus
- Infection from things like HIV, malaria or even hepatitis
- Some drugs that are taken long term can cause nephrotic syndrome such as Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID’s). The main types of NSAIDs include:- ibuprofen. naproxen. diclofenac. celecoxib. mefenamic acid. etoricoxib. indomethacin. high-dose aspirin (low-dose aspirin is not normally considered to be an NSAID) as outlined by the NHS
- Something makes the endothelial lining disappear, unknown yet why this happens, and so that the kidney filtration system can no longer hold in the protein which is not normally filtered out of the kidneys at all. Up to 3.5 grams of protein can leak per day and may be lost.
- Low blood pressure (or it may even be normal) because of hypovolemia, which is a state of decreased blood volume due to leaking into the urine
signs and symptoms of nephrotic syndrome
- Frothy urine
- With lost protein your body will leak more fluid so the body will try to hold on to it, so the body will become oedematous, swelling at the legs, periorbitally (around the eye) and lungs
- Loss of albumin (protein in your urine), which is the main fluid that keeps fluid in the blood vessels
- The liver will start to compensate and increased lipids will seep into the blood
- Fats in the urine called lipiduria
- Casts in the urine from fatty, epithelial and hyaline
- Primary diseases may already be in place
- Oedema in the legs and face. There may also be Anasarca, which is a severe and generalized form of oedema with widespread subcutaneous tissue swelling, associated with weight gain and pallor
- The excessive fluid in the tissues impairs the appetite which can give signs of ascites, breathing difficulties, (pleural effusion), swollen legs or feet
- Skin breakdown and possible infection may occur due to the arterial flow of blood and the capillaries not working properly
Blood tests, urine analysis and dipstick urinanalysis will be carried out to see markers that would indicate this syndrome.
Thrombosis, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism,
what your doctor will offer you
1. After a complete and thorough medical review, your doctor may offer you glucocorticoids such as prednisone to reduce kidney inflammation.
2. You may also be offered angiotenis-converting enzyme inhibitor drugs to decrease the loss of urine such as Ramipril.
3. Your blood pressure may also be decreased with antihypertensives
4. If there is recurrence which is common then monitoring will be highly important. You may want to consider naturopathic remedies to support and help this condition.
5. Your doctor may advise seeing a nutritionist to improve your diet and lifestyle.
6. You doctor should advise limiting your intake of sodium or table salt however protein intake may be advised to increase due to the loss in the urine.
The kidneys are part of the urinary system. Learning more about the different complications of the kidneys may help you to understand what affects, stimulates and affects the kidneys and urinary tract as a whole. At Ultimate Health we always start with a Reboot. It resets the mind, and focuses on what really matters, your health. You can join others in a community that support and help each other. No label, no pot that you have been put in. Just people that want to regain health and positive mindset that it requires to get there.
Key areas to help yourself with are to:-
- Understand your kidneys, how they work and complications that come from prolonged symptoms.
- Understanding how a reboot can help to wipe your health slate clean and start afresh. Helping the liver, kidneys, lungs, heart and all you 12 body systems to work in harmony.
- Look to start a naturopathic protocol along side your medical directives.
- Get to the root cause and treat that over just symptom management.
A big part of why the body is here in the first place could be the result of many things So you may want to consider a Reboot and look to give your body a break. Regular breaks so that you give your body the best chance to heal.
Take the next step to prevent illnesses & health issues,
Join Ultimate Health, Your Journey Starts Here!
At Ultimate Health we look for prevention and treating the cause. We always start by wiping the slate clean with a Reboot and then looking to help support your body to heal using natural proven principles and protocols. Naturopathic solutions and a protocol that supports your body and every system that it runs. We help you to manage the many multifunctional influences that can cause conditions like this in the first place. Detoxification is key, as well as reducing internal inflammation, getting conscious about your health and finding out what is actually healthy for you. If you need a map we have the One Clear Path to support your entire journey to your Ultimate Health.
Here are the Pathways we use to support you:
- Group Support
- One to One consultations
- Whole-Food Plant-Based Diet
- Meal Plans that are done for you
- Education on the Real Truth about What is Actually Healthy, not just what the media tells you is “Healthy“.
1. Emedicine.medscape.com. (2019). Minimal-Change Disease: Practice Essentials, Pathophysiology, Epidemiology. [online] Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/243348-overview [Accessed 4 Jun. 2019].
2. Study at the College of Naturopathic Medicine, CNM
Author - Tania Schnuppe, Founder of Ultimate Health
Health Coach and Training Nutritionist
Tania has been helping people to Reboot for 8 years. After a breast cancer diagnosis in 2012. Tania studied to prevention to illness and naturopathic natural ways to help the body to heal. Now studying to be a Nutritionist at the College of Naturopathic Medicine to further her already in-depth knowledge of mind and body healing. Tania also trained and worked as a hypnotherapist and now uses all these skills to help others to find their Ultimate Health.