Candida Albicans, also known as thrush or yeast infections) is a very common type of yeast infection found in the mouth, intestinal tract and vagina and may affect skin and other mucous membranes. When you immune is functioning well then this is rarely a problem for us. However if the immune system is compromised and not working well then candida can quickly move to other parts of the body including the blood and membranes around the heart or brain according to Dr Axe.
So what is candida? Well its a fungus that helps the nutrient absorption and digestion, when in proper levels in the body. If our body’s pH balance is out or off, then candida can grow rapidly.
So what do we need to fight off candida, easy – a healthy gut and good gut bacteria and a properly functioning immune system. As candida is a very stubborn infection.
What are the Symptoms?
- If you have never had a yeast infection you may notice new intolerance’s and sensitivities to allergies or food intollerences such as dairy, eggs, corn and gluten.
- Mood disorders
- Chronic fatigue
- Vaginal and urinary tract infections
- Oral thrush
What are the Causes?
- Triggered by anti-biotic use
- Poor digestion
- Lowered immune system
- Grain diet
- Hormonal changes
- Intestinal distress
- Skin and nail fungus infections
- Hormonal imbalances
- High sugar diet
What Should I Eat?
- Cooked Veggies
- Whole foods
- Greens and veggies that give you vitamins and minerals to help boost the immune
- Fermented foods as they are high in probiotics such as miso soup, kefir, sauerkraut, picked veggies
- Vegetable juices made with a juicer to boost immune
- Garlic and onions as they contain allicin which is a powerful antimicrobial
- Ground flax, chia and pumpkin seeds around 1 tablespoon a day of each as they are antifungal
- Fresh cranberry juice made from cranberries due to their acidic environment to which the yeast does not like
- Soups like bone broth to nourish the spleen and help eliminate the candida
What Should I Not Eat?
- Sugar as this feeds the yeast
- Cold foods like ice cream and smoothies as they may harden the spleen. Do not add ice do your juices
- High sugar fruit go low glycemic only until you are better
- Alcohol as they produces more yeast
- Food intolerances as some yeast infections are due to food allergies. Just eliminate what is causing the intolerances
- Grains such as white bread and flour products as they break down in to sugar and can feed the candida, yeast and bad bacteria
- Milk, cheese and non fermented dairy, as they increase the dampness in the body which may contribute to yeast overgrowth
What Should I Take?
- Probiotics. I love Sandra and Dom’s probiotics and kefir order here – helps to reduce presence of yeast
- Pau Darco tea ( 1 cup 1-3 x a day) according to Dr Axe, as it dries up excess dampness in the body
- Oil of oregano 3 drops 3 x a day on bottom of feet (oils are absorbed from feet to brain in under 30 seconds)
- Vitamin C 1,000 mg 3 x daily, to boost the immune or drink high vitamin C juices
- Grapefruit seed extract 200mg 2-3 x per day
- Colloidal silver which has strong antiseptic properties
- Fiber digesting enzymes like hemi-cellulase and lysozyme can help eliminate Candida
- Essential oils such as Clove, Lavender, Lemon, Tea Tree, Myrrth, Patchouli, Oregano and Thyme. They help by killing a variety of parasites and fungi in the body. Add 2 – 3 drops to a tablespoon of coconut oil. Only take for 10 days or less as they are very powerful or see a natural doctor for further advice.
- Oral thrush – use 3 drops of clove oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut and swish in mouth for 20 seconds. Lavender essential oil is also good for stopping candida growth and prevents further spreading.
If you have found this information useful or you have anything to add please leave your comment below.